Carol M. Shiels, P.E., CPG
Princeton, New Jersey
BSE: Geological Engineering
Shiels Engineering, Inc.
(Certified Woman or Minority Owned Business HUB & NCTRCA )
Principal Consulting Geologist & Engineer
Consultant in Oil & Gas and Geological Engineering Operations. Hopewell Operating continues to be a client with ongoing responsibilities of day to day operations. Extensive operations in East Texas, Permian Basin and Southeast Kansas. Environmental compliance work on SPCCs and air emissions inventories as a Professional Engineer. Other clients include Howell Oil & Gas and others. Consulting on an as-needed basis from prospect generation and evaluation, drilling operations, completion to regulatory compliance.
Michael H. Shelby/Hopewell Operating
Geologist & Geological Engineer
Technical operations for a small independent Oil & Gas Operator. Developing acreage with in-field wells. Reservoir analysis, calculating reserves, proposing, drilling and evaluating wells. Extensive Railroad Commission hearings and testimony regarding field operations and regulatory compliance.
Geologist & Geological Engineer
Generating prospects, evaluating acreage, log analysis, coring, logging and drill stem testing. Seismic mapping, structural
and stratigraphic interpretation, quality checks, organization of geophysical department.
Schlumberger Well Services
Field Engineer & Senior Field Engineer
Running logs, detailed log interpretation on location and in the client’s office. Geological implementation of log data into
the client model.
Ms. Shiels is a Registered Professional Engineer (TX#69699) and a Certified Petroleum Geologist (#5141). She is a member of the Society of Professional Well Log Analysts (SPWLA) and a current National Board Member of the Society of Independent Professional Earth Scientists (SIPES). Ms. Shiels combines her geologic expertise of reservoir geometries and depositional environments with the implementation of engineering evaluation and practice. Her thirty three (33) years of operations superimposes an understanding of practical feasibility. Ms. Shiels has been the main technical guidance for several
independent operators during the course of her career. Her communications skills enable her client’s staff to work efficiently together.
Oil & Gas Mineral Evaluations
- Developed 28 yrs of in-field drilling operations in the Waskom Field, Harrison County, TX
- Evaluate deep potential and development of PUD’s in the multiple East TX Field
- Development of Cotton Valley wells in Blocker Field Development in Lower Cretaceous wells in Woodlawn and Gooch Fields, Harrison County, TX.
Well Log Geologic and Engineering Evaluations
- Log analysis and completion evaluation of pinnacle reef wells and Woodbine/EagleFord in Leon and Robertson Counties.
- Log analysis and geologic summaries for numerous wells in throughout East Texas
- Geology and steering of directional and horizontal wells. Well planning and completion in Travis Peak, Cotton Valley, Pennsylvanian coals and Woodbine
- Marion, Harrison, Panola & Rusk Counties Lower Cretaceous, Northwest Overton: Haynesville Lime & Cotton Valley Sands and
Webster Parish resource play
- Coalbed methane in the Cherokee Basin of SE Kansas
Well Completions and Workover Projects
- Palo Pinto Lime Reef wells in Jones County, TX
- Mooringsport, Glen Rose and Fredericksburg wells in Panola/Harrison Co, TX
- Yates/ Tansill recompletions and new drills in Winkler Co., TX
Expert Witness Experience
- July, 1986 Docket No.40, 805, Harrison Co, TX Bert Fields, Jr. vs. Jeanne Fields et al Agency 71st Judicial District
- October, 1986, Docket No.6-88, 965, Michael H. Shelby to Re-class Vance 1-T from Gas to Oil
- March, 1987, Docket No. 6-90,073, SMK Net GOR for Hightower No. 1
- March, 1987, Docket No. 6-90,074, SMK Temp. Field Rules Mattie (Travis Peak) Field
- June, 1987, Docket No. 6-90,574, SMK Net GOR Waskom Mattie (Travis Peak)
- June, 1988, Docket No. 6-92,099, TXO Downhole Commingling
- June, 1988, Docket No.6-89,689 Docket No.6-89, 711, Docket No. 6-89,780, Commission Called Waskom (Sanders Sand)
- August, 1989, Docket No.6-93,539, Field Rule Review Waskom (Travis Peak, Charlsie)
- April, 1990, Docket No. 900341, Harrison Co., TX71st Judicial District Agency Channel Production vs. Jeanne Fields Shelby et al
- May, 1990, Docket Nos. 106,878 and 106,869, Rule 37 O’Banion Nos. 5 & 6
- July, 1990, Docket No. 6-98215, RBD-Shelby Agency Waskom (Travis Peak 1) Field Rules
- June, 1994, Docket No. 6-02055241, Hopewell to Amend Waskom (Hill) Field Rules
- January, 1995, Docket No. 6-0207769, SW Rule 10, Downhole Comm. Rudd #3
- March, 1995, Docket No.95369-803, New Field Designation Waskom (Travis Pk, Jernigan)
- July, 1995, Docket No.95369-975, New Field Designation Waskom (Woolworth Sand)
- December, 1996, Docket Nos. 96-0903 96-0902, Harrison Co., TX., Shelby/Hopewell vs. Pennzoil Exploration & Prod. 71st Judicial District Contractual; Farm-out and Drainage
- September, 1997, Docket No. 6-0217495, Hopewell Net GOR Waskom (Woolworth Sand) Field
- March, 1998, Docket No. 7C-0218958, Hopewell Amend Field Rules Norton N. (Capps) Field
- June, 1998, Docket No. 7C-0219608, Hopewell Net GOR Norton N. (Capps) Field
- Fall, 2001, Grayson Co., TX, Charles Stevenson Salt Water Damages, Settled out of court
- Spring 2005, Grayson Co, TX, Woodward & Shaw Rep. Client with Lease Perpetuation Rights, Settled Out of Court
- July, 2010, Grayson Co., TX, Cause No. 06-1846-59, Foxworth-Galbraith Lumber Company vs. Lloyd Plyler Construction
- September, 2013, Harrison Co., TX, Cause No. 11-0849, Noel Diane Jones, et al v. Petrohawk Properties, L.P. and P-H Energy, LLC
- May, 2014, Leon Co., TX, Cause No. NOT-14-12, RR Prince Ranch SWD Limited vs. William O. Wiley, Shirley Wiley, and William O. Wiley d/b/a/ WEN-BE